livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] organic label

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "elderberryjam" <elderberryjam@zippytech.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] organic label
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:48:30 -0400

I am amazed at the number of people who think they don't use many chemicals, but when you ask a question like, are there any good ways to get rid of poison ivy, they chime that Round Up does great. Or on a goat forum I participated in often for a couple of years, people suggest spraying down the barn with fabric softener to help with insects and smells; or dusting their goats (and even the barn) with Sevin. I think that if I were to ask some of them if they used chemicals, they would answer, "no," and feel they were being honest. Chemicals are something big farmers use, that come out of sprayers and looks white.

Yes, direct questions, like asking if a person uses heirloom seeds - or even better, open pollinated seeds - is helpful. Many people don't know what that means. Direct questions about weed and insect control is more revealing.

I am just beginning to discover the pests in my garden. I've always lived with them and shared with them. I need to get to know them just a little better though, because I don't like rice-sized nits under my kale much. That one I think is some kind of moth. Any good books on organic pest control that anyone has to suggest?

Thanks,

Gwen

Gwen,
In our alternative growing community, we are using the term "chemical
free" "-wink-wink" to mean what used to be called "organic".

It isn't an exact equivalent, so our next question is usually "do you
use heirloom seed?", but it helps us begin communication at a slightly
more insider level.

There is no certification needed to say that, and people who throw
around the term "organic" loosely (i.e. "I only use Round-up... !?!?!)
can be weeded out ( or Rounded Up) by not knowing the difference.

Laurie Ann