livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cats-Rats

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Mike or Cheryl Modjeski" <paperrain@semo.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>, "'Wayne'" <wa2yne@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cats-Rats
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 14:54:11 -0500

Well, it is my experience that cats sometimes go after chickens if they are around little chicks at the age when the kittens are attacking everything that moves.  If they kill one, they can get a taste for them, and I have had some that would eventually kill a full grown chicken in the late fall or wintertime, when other game is less plentiful.

As a general rule, my cats are fine around my chickens.  I do 'teach' they that the chickens are NOT fair game, when they are young enough to respect my opinion....  The ones I have now will lay in the shade of the backyard, and watch the chickens with their chicks, but I have not lost one in several years...

We do not seem to have rats...  or as many snakes...

Cheryl in Missouri

 Ignorance killed the cat, sir.  Curiosity was framed.
~ C.J. Cherryh