livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] THE NATURAL FOOD GARDENER GROWS GARLIC

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] THE NATURAL FOOD GARDENER GROWS GARLIC
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:17:51 -0600

We do have some very experienced and sensible growers here, which I value.
Right now Barb and I are starting to harvest our garlic put in last Oct.
Garlic and red onions and swiss chard will go to the nearby market Monday,
but we'll need to wait on tomatoes and squash before we get to the upscale
Corrales market in Abq. There even non-certified tomatoes are going for $4
lb. and they don't even look good. An odd thing, we've had 90 degree days
lately but our Genovese tomatoes haven't dropped one bloom far as I can
tell. Don't know if it's the soil or the variety, but they're starting to
show marble size tomatoes all over.

Back to the garlic - Barb is my coach since I haven't grown it before. She
learned all things Italian, raising the immigrant varieties, where she grew
up in CT. Her mother came over in the 40's. The European heirloom varieties
we're doing this year are those she's familiar with, but you don't see them
in the supermarket, and only two or three seed houses carry them in the
U.S. One is right here in NM of all places. The growing methods are mine,
framed raised beds intensively planted, all grown from seed, double cropped
this year. It's a modest operation so far, having relocated last year. Our
name for marketing purposes is Old World Gardens. Our first reason for
setting up this list was to learn and compare notes with others using
advanced methods of growing.