livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Fwd: [Spinning] Re: Felting / matting as garden mulch

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Norma Sutton" <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Fwd: [Spinning] Re: Felting / matting as garden mulch
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:02:06 -0400

> We sheared over a month ago, and I immediately used some of it as
mulch
> -- around the tomatoes and courgettes in particular. What I'm
thinking
> of doing which would, I think, make it more practical, is to
spread the
> wool out over a large surface (10m by 1.2m) and felting it (or
matting
> it or something, I don't know what the exact technical term is),
the
> idea being to obtain a (relatively) compact mat that I can then
roll up
> and use several years in a row. Since the mat would be more
compact than
> the raw wool, it should, I think, be a better protection against
weeds
> (which is one of my main purposes in using it). I assume that air
and
> water would still be able to get through (that would be important
though
> I suppose not absolutely necessary).

what about taking an old shower curtain or similar outside, laying
on it your wool bits then hosing it with hot water (leaving the
hose out in the sun), then having a stomp fest? You could control
your size, thickness etc. I use 7th Generation soaps, so with
something like that I wouldn't worry about dumping the sudsy water
out onto the grass. Now I am wondering tho how you would get this
mat around your plants, guess you might have to do a bit of each -
loose & mat. It seems to me that this "waste wool" would make a
great organic mulch to sell...better then grinding up the Everglades
for cheap cypress stuff.

.

--
Faith expects from God what is beyond all expectation. - Andrew Murray

visit our farm site at:http://www.freewebs.com/sweetspringfarm/

Check the latest farm photos at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sweetspringfarm

  • [Livingontheland] Fwd: [Spinning] Re: Felting / matting as garden mulch, Norma Sutton, 06/20/2007