livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 97, Issue 2

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 97, Issue 2
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:55:47 -0500

Pretty much two reasons:

1) It's rock below about 1'. Limestone here, and Granite just NW of here, so it's expensive to make holes in the ground.  Then you have to build some kind of waterproofed structure in the hole.
2) Ground temperature is 70 degrees.  A bit warmer in the summer, so you don't get much cooler for all that expense.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz