livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Spent Crop Removal

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Living on the Land" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Spent Crop Removal
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:42:51 -0500

I don't believe I've seen this issue addressed anywhere: When removing a "spent" crop, shouldn't we cut the plant at soil level, leaving the roots, with their associated bacteria and fungi, in place?  I read that mycorrhizal fungi don't produce spores until the host plant dies, so it seems advantageous to have those spores in the soil at the appropriate depths to infect the next crop.  Plus, the biomass of the roots stays in the ground.

Any comments?

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz