livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Soil Deficiencies

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Norma Sutton" <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Soil Deficiencies
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:00:40 -0400

Paul,
In this case it was the soil.  The individual in question had just moved to this property and has been raising goats for close to 50 years.  The vet couldn't figure out why the babies were dying.  When a soil sample was sent in it was virtually dead, after doing a little research, it was found that the property had been over farmed, over fertilized and over sprayed for anything and everything.
 What I was saying is that IF you move to another state, another area, and you do not no the background of the property you are moving too, and you plan to raise livestock, a soil test might be a good thing to have done.
In the wild goats are hardy and do live in some really inhospitable areas, but in domestication, when they are fenced in and in goups they aren't nearly so hardy.  In the wild, if a area is lacking in what they need they will move to another area.  They can't do that when they are fenced in.  In a fenced situation you can have overloads of parsites, over browsing, etc and in a fenced situation they will eat thing that they would leave alone if they could move to another area.
 I'm moving to E. Montana in a few years.  I will probably do a soil test when I get there just to be on the safe side.  I can't afford to lose my breeding stock.
Norma