livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Soil Deficiencies

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Norma Sutton" <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Soil Deficiencies
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 22:20:29 -0400

I don't soil test, but on occasion it is necessary.  I have a friend that raises dairy goats and the first 2 years on her property her babies did really well until they were weaned and put out on pasture.  She had a 100% kid loss both years.  When she finally broke down and had her soil tested it had virtually no minerals left in it.  She is slowly bringing it back to production, but what a hard way to learn what over farming can do to a piece of land.  I think the last 2 years she has had better luck with her kids, but I'm sure the soil is still not where it should be.  Each winter she uses the cold pack method of bedding her goats and supliments them with the minerals they need.  Every spring she spreads that bedding in a specific area.  She can now run her babies on those areas.
Norma

Faith expects from God what is beyond all expectation. - Andrew Murray

visit our farm site at:http://www.freewebs.com/sweetspringfarm/

Check the latest farm photos at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sweetspringfarm