livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Pill bugs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Pill bugs
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 15:23:48 -0700 (PDT)

Laurie Ann,

What harm are they doing?  They thrive in organic matter.  A lady called the city to get the community garden to get the bee hives out of there as she was afraid she was going to get bitten. Excuse me!  She had a plot. I was there when he came and we told him the hives stay.

Ken Hargesheimer

Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com> wrote:
We are having an unbelievable problem with pill bugs (or roly-polys - or... can you tell me the real name?) I understand I'm not the only one, some more experienced gardeners are reporting the same.

There has been an exponential increase the three years I've been here. They seem to thrive in the horse manure and the paper/cardboard I'm trying to build with, and while most people seem to think they are harmless, in the numbers we have they'll polish off a tomato plant overnight.

Suggestions anyone? So far the natural predators haven't found them. I could put some chickens in there, but that would be sacrificing any start I've gotten on the green things.

Laurie Ann