livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] No Till Sweet Potatoes

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] No Till Sweet Potatoes
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:46:56 -0700 (PDT)

Marty,

You can grow sweet potatoes no-till just like everything else.
People in this region use sandy soil for growing sweet potatoes;
however, I have had good results in clay soil too. Make sure to
select some good and deep garden soil though. Apply a
generous layer of mulch then plant through the mulch. I don’t
have a cover crop right now, so I will mow down my green
peas (after harvesting) add some mulch and plant my sweet
potatoes. It is about the right time for planting sweet
potatoes since they require a long growing season.

Dieter

Marty Kraft <martyk@allspecies.org> wrote:
I've got some fine slips ready to plant. I'm used to sticking them in
the side of loosely tilled hills. Now I've got level ground, to punch
holes into??? Hmmm??? If you have had experience planting sweet
potatoes using no till methods I'd like to hear about it. - Thanks

Marty - Kansas City