livingontheland - [Livingontheland] extend the growing season! / What temp will broccolli grow best

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: c1fenner@comcast.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] extend the growing season! / What temp will broccolli grow best
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 11:00:48 -0600

We can use high N fish emulsion or seaweed extract for quicker N uptake.
However, soil temperature will still slow growth. Heavy mulch all winter
can keep the soil from getting too cold in the first place, so it can warm
faster when you pull it back in spring. Also there's another trick,
covering beds with clear plastic to use the greenhouse effect for warming
the soil. But you have to remove the plastic once it's planted, and the
soil can get cold again. Wood framed beds are ideal for attaching cold
frames, but there again you need to be there to open them in the morning
and close at nite to hold warmth in.

Season extension techniques can get tricky, but they can double your usual
crop production. And of course, if you're using intensive raised beds or
wide row planting you double production again - that's quadrouple now. So
when you can get four times the production from a given space, why not add
season extending ideas?