livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] What temp will broccolli grow best. And soil ph.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Catherine Fenner" <c1fenner@comcast.net>
  • To: "'Healthy soil and sustainable growing'" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] What temp will broccolli grow best. And soil ph.
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 09:13:22 -0600

I'm not sure what you mean by "harsh growth" but I constantly have trouble with cold season crops not matching expectations. It's the cold soil. Yes, they like colder weather, but we organic sustainable types aren't adding the quick-acting synthetic fertilizers to the soil to meet their nitrogen needs. The microorganisms in cold soils are often not producing enough to keep up with the plants needs early in the growing season.

I've learned to do some foliar feeding, making sure to spray under the foliage, to compensate. I'm not sure where you're located but once the soil warms, you'll want to keep them cool. The greenhouse, as already indicated, will keep them too warm.

To many times I start a vegatable that has a harsh growth, I recently bought some plants and have been erecting a greenhouse to be simi open air until fall. If you could send me some helpfull hints I will respond with results, Sincerly John Calhoun.