livingontheland - [Livingontheland] What works/ the hippies were left

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] What works/ the hippies were left
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:53:34 -0600

Reduced down to its essentials: what does *not* work is unrelated people
working together to provide for their needs on common property and sharing
in the proceeds. People just will not commit to such a communal
arrangement. It's not a matter of culture but of human nature.

What does work, and always has, is natural families and individuals living
on their own property or space in close proximity to others and cooperating
on a voluntary basis to meet their needs. It's called a village or tribe.
Societies have been organized this way for eons.

It's not a choice between modern society's alienation and communal living.
Neither is viable. People can group together in close proximity without
making it a communal arrangement, and can cooperate and have specialization
of labor. That will be needed far more in the future.