livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the hippies were left

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the hippies were left
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 15:22:05 -0700 (PDT)

interesting discussion about the hipsters here, and me
being an aging hipster myself i'm finding it relevant.

when we started our "community farm"--later morphed
into a "land co-op"--in SE Minn, it was all hippie,
24/7. but the nucleus group were all macrobiotic (i
know, another weird thing there), so it was NO DRUGS
24/7 (didn't fit the macrobiotic philosophy). and our
work ethic was second to none. so i don't think that
drugs or lack of a work ethic did us in. but the
nucleus group sure did scatter.

now, much older, living in Central Wisconsin, i
thought i'd be able to organize another "land co-op"
without making a huge deal of it. turns out i was
wrong. after laying out the whole plan to various
groups, the idea of people co-operatively working some
piece of land using the bio-intensive principles was
either: a) too hippie or b) too Maoist. or these days,
perhaps too Hugo-Chavez [Venezuelan Bolivarist?]
perhaps the idea of a producer co-op just sounds too
"leftist."

well, the hippies that i was part of, we were perhaps
"too left", being too much into the collective effort,
the co-op movement, all that. fast forward to now,
when co-operation is going to be crucial to surviving
peak oil, and very little is happening in that vein.

and, oddly enough, most of the "sustainability ethic"
activity now happening in Central Wisc. is being
organized and led by the academics. yup, the "$1000
permaculture course" set. it seems that, to be
credible on sustainability now in our region, at least
a Ph.D. in some Life Sciences graduate program is what
you need.

funny how things change, yes?

peas,

bobby g
central Wisc.

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html