livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Free Trade vs. Small Farmer By Walden Bello

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Free Trade vs. Small Farmer By Walden Bello
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:12:49 -0600

If so then supermarkets will have to undergo huge transformation, no longer
carrying ten thousand items from everywhere. In reality I suspect the big
box store will be abandoned and boarded up against vandals and transients -
esp China-Mart. In its place we'll see many smaller neighborhood food
stores where realtors used to be. After all, if fuel makes food transport
too expensive then it'll be too expensive for people to drive all over the
city for weekly shopping. Further, food will have to change from groceries
to real food, since oil and gas are used to make fertilizers, pesticides,
herbicides, fungicides, you name it, and run the tractors and all the other
monster machines that farm huge tracts of monoculture. Not to mention all
the embedded energy in food processing and packaging. That too will have to
change.

Food, rents, and many other necessities are too expensive for a third of
the US population already. We don't see that on TV "news" yet because the
tsunami hasn't hit most of the middle class yet. And being a card-carrying
member of the Nature Conservancy won't shield us when it hits.