livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Price of Almost Everything We Need to Survive Has Jumped by 100 Per Cent

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Price of Almost Everything We Need to Survive Has Jumped by 100 Per Cent
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:03:31 -0500

My wife and I often discuss the separate universe that economists inhabit.  It appears we each have to become a "home" economist.

In some ways it's true for the medical establishment as well.  Given that, statistically, most folks are overweight, sedentary, and sickly, their guidelines are based on those statistics.  So how does one determine what a HEALTHY person should eat?  If it's hard to determine what to eat, it's hard to decide what to GROW.

Combining those two perspectives has led me to a rather complex study matrix: Nutrition, diet, gardening, cooking, food buying.  How to eat better for less money.  It's certain that the home garden and the Farmer's Market are partial solutions, but it requires a lot of knowledge and understanding.  One thing I've found is that most literature is written for Ohio or some such place.  Not much has been written for Central Texas or Northern New Mexico.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz