livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Leaf mulch bad in the garden!?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "D'Coda" <dcoda@volcommunity.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Leaf mulch bad in the garden!?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:12:15 -0600

Dieter wrote:

I have been using leafs for mulching our vegetable garden
for years,...(snip)

(snip)..... On the other hand, in
rich soil on the wooded part of our property that hasn’t been
disturbed for decades, I didn’t find any earthworms at all.

Could it be that earthworms cannot digest dried leafs?

Dieter, I've been mulching heavily with dry leaves from the forest for 7 years and the earthworms love it. The soil is loaded with earthworms. What we sometimes overlook about the soil in the forest itself, is that the roots of the trees are associated with  mycorrhizae which inhibit earthworms.. Its not the leaves, but the tree's root system.

D'Coda
(in the wilds, no internet access, takes 2-6 weeks to reply)

Looking for earth-friendly autos?