livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Question About Chickens

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gail Hoskisson Loper <loghillgail@msn.com>
  • To: LOL <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Question About Chickens
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:09:54 -0600

Ahhhhh!

It's such a good feeling to finally get some seeds in the soil. Only 15
square feet in a raised bed but it still feels really good to get my hands
in that rich soil and think about how good those freshly picked salads are
going to taste in a few weeks.

Several varieties of lettuce, carrots, swiss chard, diakon and red radishes,
green onions and endive are just waiting to sprout. Last year that bed was
dedicated to peas so the soils should be just right for all those leafy
greens.

Dear husband was also out there building a chicken house for the baker's
dozen chicks we have here in the house, in a large cardboard box. The
chicken house will have to be in the garden surrounded by an 8 foot fence to
keep the deer out of the vegetables and the coyotes and bobcats away from
the chickens.

When he gardened in Iowa he had chickens on the farm that free ranged. He
doesn't remember having any problems with the chickens bothering his
vegetables, However, he didn't grow the leafy greens that I grow.

Our plan is to let the chickens free range within the fenced garden. My
question is will I have problems with the chickens eating my leafy greens?

Thanks for any info you might share.

Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh-choooo! The pollen levels are sky high this
spring.

Gail