livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Federal court bans Monsanto's genetically engineered alfalfa

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Federal court bans Monsanto's genetically engineered alfalfa
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:51:11 -0600

Federal court bans Monsanto's genetically engineered alfalfa

For the first time in history, a Federal Court has ruled that the
USDA has illegally approved a genetically engineered crop. A
California judge has ruled that the USDA, which approved the sale of
genetically engineered alfalfa for 2007, did not conduct adequate
environmental impact studies. The judge said approval of this new
biotech crop has a high potential of destroying conventional and
organic alfalfa farms. "We applaud the decision of the Court," said
Bill Wenzel of the National Family Farm Coalition. "It's unfortunate
that we have to turn to judges to do what's right for farmers while
the USDA carries water for the biotech companies." Pat Trask, a South
Dakota alfalfa grower and plaintiff in the case stated, "It's a great
day for God's own alfalfa."
Learn more:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_4492.cfm

  • [Livingontheland] Federal court bans Monsanto's genetically engineered alfalfa, TradingPostPaul, 04/06/2007