livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] permaculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 20:54:34 -0600

Better method? Better ways have been demonstrated, explained, and
documented for years: permanent food growing beds, mulch, no-till,
intensive mixed plantings, double and triple cropping, composting. Many
different variations on these practices have proved ways to produce more
and healthier food in less space while replenishing the soil base. The
evidence is all over the list archives and all over the Internet, and
before that in many books and periodicals.

Permaculture is a philosophy and was never intended to be a serious guide
to feeding the world's population. It does not teach people the skills of
food production; ask any teacher of permaculture. Those skills are learned
by experience only. Any old gardener will tell you they're still learning.
I'm one.