livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Not Lawns

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: ernieyacub@gmail.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Not Lawns
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:17:39 -0700

i rent a house on a large corner lot which had a small garden in the back and lots of grass most of which i have gradually turned into food gardens by covering the grass with cardboard, paper and leaves - the worms did the rest.

the other thing i've been doing is harvesting and eating the naturals like dandelions and clover - had my first dandelion/kale salad yesterday and will soon be gathering dandelion heads in the morning for fritters - 1cup chopped heads (careful not to get too much stem) to 1 cup flour - sometimes sweet with apple or blueberries from last year or savory with garlic/chives/kale etc.

the main problem has been complaints from a couple of neighbours about the messy look and the "weeds" - i've been having discussions and negotiations with the bylaw enforcement people somewhat successfully - i do a little clean up and get to continue doing it my way.

what they consider to be weeds, i use as food, and since i'm on a very modest pension, i need to grow my own food - besides, there are numerous other critters that need the flowers and seeds that "weeds" produce.

and of course all the wonderful things they do in the ground and in the air.

ernie on the north wet coast of turtle island
aka komoux, brutish kolumbia