livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of thesoil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: mtncats@myway.com, Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of thesoil
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:19:27 -0700 (PDT)

Tom, Pego,

I didn’t yet study the various dew-harvesting designs in detail; however,
my impression is that most, like the Zibold air-well for example, require
an enormous construction and may only extract a few litres of water per
night. My plans are a little less ambitious. In fact, I’m just trying to make
the best use of the materials available on-site. My properties is strewn with
innumerable stones (graciously left by the previous owner after the topsoil
had washed away due to tilling). I’m using these stones for various little
constructions, like barriers to prevent run-offs, for example. The other idea,
I mentioned previously, is to surround my garden with a barrier of stones.
In addition to disposing of the stones, I would make a walkway, separate
the garden from the surrounding area, prevent soil humidity from evaporating
and perhaps even harvest a little dew. Hence, even if the dew-harvesting
function isn’t assured, there are all the other functions. Anyway, I’m sure
that there is an effect, since there is definitely a more vigorous vegetation
around the heaps of stones on our property, and it doesn’t matter if this is due
to dew-harvesting or some other effect. Many thanks for pointing me to the
various ideas, perhaps I can adapt one or the other to my own constructions.

Regards,
Dieter Brand, Portugal

mtncats <mtncats@myway.com> wrote:

Dieter, if you haven't, search "air wells". Old technology, infrequently used, but no reason not to build a successful water source. Appropriate for many in arid climates.

Tom (in central Virginia)

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.