livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of thesoil

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "mtncats" <mtncats@myway.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Improving the water-retention properties of thesoil
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:01:20 -0400 (EDT)

Dieter, if you haven't, search "air wells". Old technology, infrequently
used, but no reason not to build a successful water source. Appropriate for
many in arid climates.

Tom (in central Virginia)

--- On Sun 03/25, Dieter Brand wrote in part:
One idea I intend to try, when I get
a little time, is to surround my entire summer garden with
a barrier of stones both several feet in width and in height so as
to separate the irrigated garden soil from the dry soil all around.
The stone barrier would retain the humidity of the soil it protects
and may even serve as a dew-harvesting structure since we have a
lot of night-time humidity.

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.