livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] weeds..

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] weeds..
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 00:46:37 -0500

Pego, indeed, we eat the lamb's quarters and the violets (I have three different types). One type of violet I have takes over very quickly and drowns out everything in its path. And its very difficult to pull up. I leave it where I can and we use it in salads. The chickweed I have is the fuzzy type. Its edible but not all that palatable. Picture eating a fuzzy African Violet leaf... the texture would be similar. It makes great compost instead. I have sorrel naturalized in lots of garden spots and we love to eat that right in the garden.

I have a photo of my nearly 6 foot tall son holding up our record winning lamb's quarters plant . The plant extends about 8 inches beyond Sean's stretched out arm. "Aztec Spinach"... same genus, different species I believe, does very well here and grows quite large.

BTW, I leave the Lamium amplexicaule (henbit) in the ground as long as possible because the honeybees seem to love it and its one of the first forages for them in the spring. I have the henbit coming up all over the lawn making the back yard very ugly but won't let anyone cut it down until the bees are done with it.

Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins