livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] weeds..

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] weeds..
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:08:26 -0700 (PDT)

Violets, chickweed and Lambs quarters are all so very
edible. I never control chickweed except with eggs
and some salsa (burp, which I just finished) I really
enjoy violets in salad, both flowers and leaves,
Lamb's quarters are prolly the veg that originated
the phrase "use like spinach" But more seriously,
looking at some weeds and seeing their inner veggie
can allow you the flexibility to utilize a plant you
KNOW grows in a given location that otherwise may have
to be amended quite a bit.

chickweed
http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wildfoodjj/chikweed.pdf

violets
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Viola+odorata

lambs quarter's
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1155139

et al;
http://www.yougrowgirl.com/use/recipe_weeds.php

Yours, Pego

"Right now some of the weeds I am contending with here
in Alabama are bermuda, fuzzy chickweed, henbit
(Lamium amplexicaule), ground ivy, Carolina geranium
(Geranium carolinianum), violets and Johnson grass.
Lamb's quarters also come up but are easily smooshed.
Senna has been a problem in the past as I didn't get
to it until it was hard to pull....and violets can be
a pill if you don't catch them "
quickly.

It's here! Your new message!