livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Root Cellars

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Norma Sutton" <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Root Cellars
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:39:39 -0400

I have this book Paul,
It is great.  I use my spring overflow house for most of my cool/damp storage, but would love to have a root cellar . . . .however in this area they aren't practical as in the spring and fall when the rains start, a root cellar would literally be under water.
Norma

In the days before fresh produce was available in supermarkets year-round,
a root cellar was an essential part of every home. They're a lost way of
life and were once a crucial link in the subsistence chain. In one form or
another, we may need to rely upon them once more -- this time after the
pole shift. Conditions might render a root cellar a luxury, but it's an
option we should be knowledgeable about.

Let's take a look at key points from the book "Root Cellaring" by Mike &
Nancy Bubel. I'd consider this one a must-get, and I purchased my copy
through the Barnes & Noble web site.

--
Faith expects from God what is beyond all expectation. - Andrew Murray

visit our farm site at: http://www.freewebs.com/sweetspringfarm/

Check the latest farm photos at:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sweetspringfarm