livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Real Farming

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Real Farming
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:03:22 -0700

Some "wow" points all the way through there, and I like that last line.

You said
Some are lucky enough to have outside income to support the 'best'
practices, some are lucky to have customers who appreciate the best
practices (Organic Markets, CSA's, etc.).

What we know is most farm families today need outside income to support
"worst" practices - the typical large-scale, machine row cropping and
tilling that's degrading our land. And "best" practices give the highest
yields in less area and reduce costs and labor to finish with the highest
profit margins per pound sold.

It's hard to shake the mindset, the idea that growing organically is more
work and has to be priced higher to make a living on it. Not if "best"
practices are used to full advantage to lower labor and input costs.

No-till, permanent mulched beds can yield anywhere from four to eight times
as much from a given land area. A lot of land costs a lot of money.
Equipment to work the soil every year costs a lot of money. Row cropping
wastes space and grows a lot of weeds. We don't need all that nonsense.
Permanent beds concentrate amendments and water where the plants grow, not
in the aisles you walk on. Intensive planting means twice the plants you
have in row cropping, and with mulch it shades the soil better and
suppresses weeds. With permanent mulch beds and simple season extension
techniques, it's also practical to double or triple crop, pushing up total
yields even further. You feed the soil and it feeds you. You work less and
produce much, much more.

But the bottom line is the real surprise: these "best" practices lower
your input costs and labor (count your labor as a cost) while multiplying
total production, so you get a higher profit per pound sold. SO, consider
this: if your profit margin goes from 10% to 90%, you only need one-tenth
the production to make the same amount of gross profit. Or it may be 5% to
50%, depending on your own situation. Do the math yourself. YMMV. First
year of soil and bed work is the hump to get over; after that it's gravy,
no-till, no cultivate, less irrigating. Some weeding, yes, and added mulch
or compost, and so forth. Eliot Coleman is just one living example of how
to make good money growing sustainably on an acre and a half. He grossed
$100,000 in 2003, albeit in a good market.

I keep saying you can go broke on a thousand acres or make a good living on
five or ten. With the cost of land what it is, and the rising cost of
fossil fuel inputs and machinery and labor, nobody's going into farming
large-scale anymore. Nobody. Industrial agribusiness is dying of bloat and
indigestion. The new farmers are small scale, sustainable, and profitable.

This is the real revolution, and nobody can stop it or exploit it.