livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Muskegon River Valley, (read swamp).

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Zachary Domikez <zdomike@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Muskegon River Valley, (read swamp).
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:36:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Stephen,
I have some opinions about swamp land. First of all,
it is part of the Muskegon River, when flooded, so
anything you work on there is temporary!

Secondly, the EPA, Army Corps of Engineers, and
various other agencies have jurisdiction over your
land.

Third, I think you could grow a raised bed. , make a
ring of willows-in-soil now, hope they withstand the
spring floods, and watch the soil stick to that over
the summer. In a year, you could heap mud and trunks
into the ring of willow, and plant in 2008.

There must be a dozen different swamp-tolerant trees
besides willows, but maybe the government has no
jurisiction over trees . . .

Hope that is helpful,
Zack

Of raised beds, one half of my property is five acres
of Muskegon River Valley, (read swamp). I have been
blessed with the top five arable acres and am working
to restore them to a productive state.
But I guess I'm greedy because I keep thinking of the
Chiampas and how I could reclaim some of that rich,
black soil in the swamp for growing. It is out of the
question to make raised beds 300 feet long as the
Indians did (I don't have a nation of unlimited
manpower at my beck, just these two hands) but am
considering a small clearing or two and heaping of
the muck/soil onto them to experiment.

An incentive for me to get into it is several veneer
grade trees that might be harvested to help fund the
project and gain an easier entrance to the area.

Was wondering if you (or anyone here) has experience
with this sort of thing?

Stephen (Western Michigan)

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front