livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Three Sisters of dry-in-the summer central Texas

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Three Sisters of dry-in-the summer central Texas
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:56:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Mitch, Gloria

Some varieties of corn are adapted to dry conditions
and some are not. The semi-nomadic people that
cultivated their 3-sisters twice a season are not the
same people that built the first adobe "condos" and
lived in desert conditions, near their crops all the
time. Some people, instead of building raised beds,
dropped their seeds into little depressions, Waffle
dimples if you will, that would catch every drop of
water that dropped from the sky or had to be toted
from a stream a mile away.

Perhaps you should ask the people at Native Seed
Search? They sell seeds to maintain a non-profit
native bio-diversity project and have been actively
gathering info on what varieties grow best in
different areas and what their cultivation requires.

http://www.nativeseeds.org/v2/default.php

info@nativeseeds.org

Yours, Pego

<<I'd appreciate any further advice about varieties
for Three Sisters growing in Central Texas. I realize
that there is much to learn, but I need a short-cut
for this season and many seed sellers are sold out of
some desirable varieties. At this point, I probably
need to buy seeds off the rack at the local garden
center. < Thanks.>>

<<Re: locally adapted varieties,

<I am going to caution you re growing corn at the
moment. When we have drought years in Texas the corn
tends to get sick....get cancer.....though that is not
the name of the disease. I haven't grown in it years
for that reason.....but I am considering it this year
anyway because of my situation.>>

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html