livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Garden Programs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Garden Programs
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 21:25:37 -0700

Keep us posted. It's an interesting exercise. Since I haven't looked into
it, I'm curious whether the Mittleider CD incorporates use of mulch for
moisture retention and weed suppression, optimum all-direction planting
distances in permanent beds, continuous planting for continuous weed cover,
no-till for weed control and permanent drip irrigation, selection of cool
and warm season varieties for production all season, or season extending
row covers or cold frames and greenhouses.

I must stress this: these are low cost, labor saving practices that make
growing more practical on any scale, not nice ideas for people with time on
their hands and money to burn.