livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] CORN FARMS REPLACE NEW YORK LOFTS AS HOTTESTPROPERTY

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Nagel <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] CORN FARMS REPLACE NEW YORK LOFTS AS HOTTESTPROPERTY
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:08:18 -0600 (CST)

But Barbara, this is a new phenomena. Unless the profit levels go up on
foods farmers will start jumping on the biofuels bandwagon.

Here in Snohomish County the politicians are touting how great biofuels will
be for farmers. Farmers will be enticed by greater profit margins, ending up
switching over to biofuel crops (just like is done in all those other
countries). And once things are switched the big AG/Oil companies will put
them out of business, buying up the land lock-stock and barrel: the small
farmers won't be able to out-competed the big boys. The end result is that
the farm land will no longer be locally owned.

I look around in my county and see that there's no way that the available
crop land can sustain the [huge] local population. This won't improve with
the push toward biofuels.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

From: Barbara Fischer <cen12205@centurytel.net>

I can't say that I agree with many of you. I do own one of those farms in
central Illinois that grow corn and soybeans. We have been doing that for
150 years. I don't see things have changed much. Land prices are higher and
the houses from the city are enqoaching, but not yet near me. Most of ouir
produce goes to companies who grow food products. Biggest change is we have
gone to no-till. Barbara