livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] intensive, no-till organic from a different angle

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] intensive, no-till organic from a different angle
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:27:19 -0800

Title: Re: [Livingontheland] intensive, no-till organic from a d
Permaculturists are fond of suggesting old natural-fiber carpet as a weed-discouraging mulch. I'd guess old poufy sweaters would hold moisture pretty well, but that tight-weave thin wool blankets would not be as effective for this application (and would probably work better as weed blockers). Or maybe the type of wool doesn't matter, as long as it's chopped up and applied less than half an inch thick or so? In that case, it seems like a lot of work to chop them up.

"jerry walker" <cubby149@vermontel.net> wrote:
I was wondering how about old 100% wool clothing. would it work the same way?
Norma Sutton <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com> wrote:
I know I'm late coming into this, but I know of several sheep growers that are using a thin layer of waste wool underneath the mulch.