livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] looking at land to buy...- Forest management

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mtncats <mtncats@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] looking at land to buy...- Forest management
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 07:46:59 -0800 (PST)

Valid point, Jerry.  Another reason for me to avoid loggers, who don't generally care.  My trees are scarred from the last widespread logging here, 35 years ago (previous owner).  That was the first thing the state forester told me to do, cull them.  I didn't follow his advice however and apart from losing the lowest portion, it's working.

USDA put out a very good booklet "A Landowner's Guide to Building Forest Access Roads".  Available from them, free IIRC.  My little piece of the world is mostly too steep for any roads.  Requires winch-logging.

Which fits well with my preferred equipment, including a recycled deuce-and-a-half (ex-army) for a farm truck, my only truck.  Mine gets used driven under 1000 miles/year but is cheap enough to maintain.  Mostly sits there, available for whatever heavy service I ask.  This afternoon I'm going to use it to break up the ice on our 1/2 mile driveway that rises 400'.

Most years we can simply wait for a melt.  Not this year.

Tom (in central Virginia)

jerry walker <cubby149@vermontel.net> wrote:
Please consider damage to other trees when cutting timber .  I used to cut fire wood on a friends land the only way I found to minimize damage was to cut an access road felling the next tree into the area I had just cut/cleared . It made a crooked road but limited damage to smaller trees

Be a PS3 game guru.