livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Relearning how to live as voluntary peasants

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Nagel <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Relearning how to live as voluntary peasants
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:25:56 -0600 (CST)

It was semi-reasonable until it hit this paragraph:

"Can we constrain extremism and direct the economy to activities that are
beneficial to society? Regardless of the objections of laissez-faire
free-trade economists, the U.S. must seek low unemployment, a sufficient
growth rate, stable prices, a healthy balance of payments, the preservation
of the industrial base, the attainment of geopolitical goals, and the
preservation of the middle class. Without a strong middle class, a country
is polarized, and democracy cannot survive in a polarized society. If
nothing is done, the U.S. may turn sharply left and go the way of Venezuela.
The current shift to the left in Latin America may have come from
globalization."

Specifically problematic is this point:

"the U.S. must seek low unemployment, a sufficient
growth rate, stable prices"

There's that "growth" word again! And just how long does the author propose
we grow? Growth is the strategy of yeast and the cancer cell, it's a
fundamental reality of all living things; we must stop believing that we're
somehow exempt from these natural laws. I encourage folks to learn more about
growth by catching one of Dr. Albert Barlett's lectures (google for them).

And stable prices? Again, for how long could this happen? How long, would
you think, that we could hold energy prices stable? What about land prices?
All of this amidst increasing population sizes...

To tie this to this group, I'd say that we've got to prepare for a reduction
in population and be ready to be as self sufficient as possible.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA