livingontheland - [Livingontheland] This List as Resource

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] This List as Resource
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:52:21 -0800 (PST)

Hey listees,

speaking of this living "post-peak oil" thing...

For a while now, i've been saving all the LOTL digests
i get in the inbox. i finally created a separate
folder just for Living On The Land. i started to
realize that this list is going to be our own "Whole
Earth Catalog" so to speak for this "BioDiverseCity"
land co-op here in Central Wisc.

there's just too much good info in every digest; i can
never "delete" one without feeling i'm going to need
that info later.

the object of this co-op is going to be
sustainability. that means the land is going to turn a
profit for its members. a co-op isn't a nonprofit.
so we have to start out serious about making a good
living for the members who sink hard-earned money into
it. that's where the "bio-intensive mini-agriculture"
is going to come into play. from what i'm reading on
this list, i'm sold on this approach to sustainable
growing.

i've decided to include *future* housing as one part
of the mission, but not at the outset. i'm not
interested in repeating that whole sad "The Farm"
story. yes, "eco-villages" have a future. but i'm
more convinced now that converting existing small
cities [like Stevens Point, WI] into "eco-villages" --
rather than inventing something from scratch--will be
the way to go.

so if our local small city (and villages in the area)
begin to understand "The Natural Step for Communities"
and the need to change everything about how these
cities live, then the land co-op will make sense as
one part of a bigger picture.

so, folks, keep all the valuable resources and links &
personal stories coming!

bobby g
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/landco-op

It's here! Your new message!

  • [Livingontheland] This List as Resource, Bobby G, 02/15/2007