livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Update to website TheModernHomestead.US

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Update to website TheModernHomestead.US
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:58:37 -0700

I went straight to the garden section
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Organic-Gardening-Soil-Basics.html

And then 2: Increasing Humus, 3: Maximizing Use of Cover Crops, 4: Avoid
Bare Ground, Minimize Tillage.

A few quotes:

"Plants growing closely in wide beds shade the soil, keeping it cool and
moist."

"I strongly urge the use of deep, heavy-rooted cover crops, liming, and
other means discussed above to loosen the soil at depth as soon as
possible, rather than fight with a noisy, vibrating, stinking tiller even
one season."

"... there can be as well an oxidative erosion of the humus content of the
soil by excess tilling. When we turn over the soil, we over-expose it to
oxygen, which combines with the humus and breaks it down more rapidly."

I might add, wide bed planting, raised or level, with close, optimum
planting, can easily double production over single file tractor rows. Then
succession planting and interplanting (which is mentioned) can double
production again. Adding season extension techniques (which is also
mentioned) can increase production even beyond four times single row
planting.

The mulching and close planting also suppresses weeds and cuts weeding
time. And mixing different plants together reduces losses to pests. No
chemicals needed.

And I would add, when all these things are combined, labor and input costs
drop drastically per unit of food produced. This has enormous implications.