livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] double dug beds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] double dug beds
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:02:08 -0600

Our method of double digging isn't quite the same as Jeavons though his books gave me to idea to do it in the first place. I'll say again, I do not double dig if there is any hope of decent soil in the area. I reserve double digging for the areas in the yard where the soil is subsoil, rock and chirt.

We excavate about 20 inches or so out of the bed and put that to one side. Then we use the shovel (or pick more typically) to turn over and loosen the remaining soil at the bottom of the bed and work amendments into. Then we do our hugelkultur mound on this adding leaves and kitchen scraps to the pile. Finally we pull the soil heaped to the side back over the mound again adding amendments as we work. The amendments include compost, rock phosphate, lime and greensand though I'm trying to cut back on the greensand. I've decided its not sustainable.

That hugelkultur page that I posted a couple weeks back has been added to. I put a "before" and "after" photo there so the difference is apparent. I also put a photo of a bed we did by sheet composting comparing it to the photo of a bed we did hugelkultur in that same year. Both were treated exactly the same after being built. The difference is apparent in the photos. Go 4/5ths down the page to see the comparison photos.

http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins/Hugelkulture.html

Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins