livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] re-explanation of "double dug"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] re-explanation of "double dug"
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 11:59:11 -0700

Somebody else want to explain double digging? I've done it in the past but
too much work for me now, and my topsoil is too thin. I just dig up virgin
soil one shovel deep and build up from there with a mixture of aged manure
compost, amendments like greensand and alfalfa meal, and soil from outside
the garden. I'm using salvage boards to frame the beds and hold mulch in
place, and from then on it's no-till. I don't walk on the beds so they stay
loose and friable and don't need tilling after that.