livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] OT

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Tony Marzolino <tmarzolino@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] OT
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:29:17 -0800 (PST)

Hello Rhoda,
I live in upstate NY and we always use/have the following:
- An area for them them to run and root. About 1 acre, but I am sure you could use less.
- A source of food.  Lately we have been coordinating with a local produce grower and using his excess/moldy stuff.  Toward the five month mark, they need a lot of food.  We usually supplement with hominy and slaughter at around 6 months.

Hope that helps.  We currently have five and they are eating squash, apples, corn, and potatoes.  Potatoes worked best if cooked.  We use our wood stove.

Tony Marzolino
Berkshire NY

Rhoda Skavroneck <rhodaf@gate.net> wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the healthiest and most cost
effective way to raise 2 pigs for food. I live in Central Florida.

Thank you.
Rhoda
rhodaf@gate.net