livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Becomes Curriculum in School Lunch Revolution

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: pete <pete.rout@virgin.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Becomes Curriculum in School Lunch Revolution
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:43:17 +0000

Jamie Oliver, one of the UK's top chefs had a programme on tv doing just that and persuaded the govt to make school meals more nutritious. What happened was that the children stopped having school meals and bought fish and chips instead and parents were encouraging them to do so.
Pete

Food Becomes Curriculum in School Lunch Revolution
By Tom Philpott, Grist Magazine
Posted on January 30, 2007

Even the most intractable pathology can disappear, sometimes
relatively quickly. A sign above a water fountain proclaiming "no
coloreds" would cause any American to flinch today. Just half a
century ago throughout the South, such abominations formed a banal
part of the built landscape.

I got to thinking about deep-rooted problems and rapid change a few
days ago while talking with Ann Cooper, a former star chef who now
proudly styles herself a "renegade lunch lady."

Cooper is on a mission to transform the nation's abysmal school-lunch
system. I met her for a cup of coffee in Asheville, N.C., where she
was promoting her new book Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed
Our Children. After our conversation, I began to wonder if the idea
of pumping kids full of flavorless, nutritionally suspect convenience
food at school might soon become as socially unacceptable as Jim Crow-
style racism.

entire article at
http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/47283/