livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Food Becomes Curriculum in School Lunch Revolution

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Food Becomes Curriculum in School Lunch Revolution
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:06:12 -0700

Food Becomes Curriculum in School Lunch Revolution
By Tom Philpott, Grist Magazine
Posted on January 30, 2007

Even the most intractable pathology can disappear, sometimes
relatively quickly. A sign above a water fountain proclaiming "no
coloreds" would cause any American to flinch today. Just half a
century ago throughout the South, such abominations formed a banal
part of the built landscape.

I got to thinking about deep-rooted problems and rapid change a few
days ago while talking with Ann Cooper, a former star chef who now
proudly styles herself a "renegade lunch lady."

Cooper is on a mission to transform the nation's abysmal school-lunch
system. I met her for a cup of coffee in Asheville, N.C., where she
was promoting her new book Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed
Our Children. After our conversation, I began to wonder if the idea
of pumping kids full of flavorless, nutritionally suspect convenience
food at school might soon become as socially unacceptable as Jim Crow-
style racism.

entire article at
http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/47283/