livingontheland - [Livingontheland] thanks, Paul, for the intensive agriculture info

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] thanks, Paul, for the intensive agriculture info
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:46:37 -0800 (PST)

The last set of quotes you shared about "bio-intensive
mini-agriculture" and others about earning a living
from very small plots of land was most welcome and
timely for me. we're in the process of looking for
the first 20-40 acres for a new landowning co-op here
in central Wisconsin, and that info is perfect for
this purpose.

one of the goals of this sustainability-oriented
project will be offering some route into "entry-level
farming" for younger people. the average age of our
county farmers is about 55 years old; the younger
folks simply aren't going into agriculture as a
career. the intensive ag. approach in those quotes
you shared might offer a way to change that.

(and since a co-op is not a nonprofit org, and doesn't
exist by donations and such, the project will need to
be profitable fairly early on in order to pay for this
land.)

thanks again, and if anyone has more similar
information please share it. i haven't been keeping up
with this list in quite some time. now i'm glad these
digests are coming in!

bobby g
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/landco-op