livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 07:32:05 -0700

Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group
January 25 - 28, 2007
The Galt House Hotel and Suites Louisville, Kentucky
http://www.ssawg.org/conference-.html

The Southern SAWG conference returns to Louisville, Kentucky January 25-28,
2007. Conference sessions will be held at The Galt House Hotel and Suites,
in the heart of downtown Louisville on the Ohio River. Fortunately, this
site is considerably larger than our past conference facilities and will be
able to comfortably handle our continued growth.

The conference attracts over 900 forward-thinking farmers and advocates
working toward sustainable food systems in the South. The innovative and
experienced sustainable farmers and advocates flock to this event because
of the excellent programming and the unmatched networking — a golden
opportunity to learn and to share with others.

We have over 50 outstanding practical sessions on a range of topics —
sustainable and organic livestock and horticulture production, direct
marketing, community food systems, agriculture policies and more. There
will be exhibits by vendors whose products and services provide support for
sustainable agriculture. Conference registrants will also get a Taste of
Kentucky with locally produced foods at a special banquet co-hosted by the
Kentucky Department of Agriculture.

In addition to the regular conference program, we are offering several
outstanding optional educational programs in conjunction with this
conference. We have 6 Sustainable Farming Field Trips, 8 Sustainable
Farming Enterprise Short Courses, 3 Community Food Systems Mini-Courses and
an On-Farm Experienced Organic Vegetable Farmer Exchange.

Join us in the Bluegrass State for another stellar Southern SAWG
conference!

All of Southern SAWG's promotional and publicity materials are available
online. You can find them here at
http://www.ssawg.org/conference-media.html.
------------

some highlights among many presentations:
http://www.ssawg.org/conference-program.html

Organic Vegetable Production Practices - What are the most important things
you need to know when starting or converting to organic vegetable
production? Learn practical strategies for soil fertility, weed control,
insect and disease management and the tools and techniques of organic
vegetable farming. Steve Diver, NCAT/ATTRA (AR).

Introduction To The Soil Foodweb - Healthy soil is necessary for robust
crop and livestock production. Develop an understanding of soil and how
this complex living system works. Learn how to promote a diverse, complex
soil foodweb that drives soil fertility, soil structure, disease
suppression, water infiltration, and moisture-holding capacity. Steve
Diver, NCAT/ATTRA (AR).

Organic No Till: Is It Possible In The South For Small-Scale Producers? -
An advanced look at what's been tried and what has been learned from three
years of research and outreach. Realistic approaches to maximizing cover
crop benefits while reducing tillage and appropriate equipment for the
small-scale operation will be discussed. Producers are encouraged to share
their own experiences, ask questions and exchange information and ideas
during this seminar session. Mark Schonbeck, Virginia Association for
Biological Farming (VA), Ron Morse, Virginia Tech University (VA) and
Charlie Maloney, Dayspring Farm (VA).

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

  • [Livingontheland] Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group, TradingPostPaul, 01/24/2007