livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Q. What is Sustainable agriculture?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Q. What is Sustainable agriculture?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:07:17 -0700

To keep it simple, growing is sustainable if the soil is continually
improved so it can go on being farmed the same way and producing
indefinitely. For commercial growing I'd add the methods need to sustain
the grower financially to keep operating.

Intensive or succession planting is tricky, but well worth it for home
production or profit. It means more from available space.

intensive spacing guide
http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/vegetable/intensive.html

diagrams for suggested mix type of interplanting for early, midseason, and
late garden
(Getting the Most from Your Garden p. 134-36)

Succession Planting - Perennial Crops, Crops that occupy the ground only
the first part of the season, crops that occupy the ground the major
portion of the season, Crops to be planted in July or later for fall and
winter gardens
http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/planning/successi.asp

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-335/426-335.html#L3
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1257.html
http://extension.unh.edu/Pubs/HGPubs/intvegar.pdf
http://www.clemson.edu/fairfield/local/mark/intensgard.htm
http://www.css.cornell.edu/courses/190/abstr/reid3.htm
http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/concept.htm

There's a lot more to intensive growing but I'll stop there.