livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Dairy sheep info and resources request

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Dairy sheep info and resources request
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 07:01:08 -0800 (PST)

Jerome,

Have you looked at the attra publications?

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/dairysheep.html

At one point I knew of a dairy sheep flock of East Friesian, but they weren't moving any sheep due to the whole awful slaughter of those flocks in Vermont I think it was.  Can't remember the details, but basically unsubstantianted slaughter due to supposed disease.  that's been years now, around 6 I'd guess.  Since then haven't heard much about anyone milking sheep.

We're planning to try to milk Meg, our navajo-churro ewe who we hope is several months into gestation.   If you join some of the fiber sheep lists on yahoogroups and ask around you might find more info.    I know I've seen mention that Polypays are good milkers because that's a breed I've worked with the fleece and are availabe around me.

Hope this info helps,
Carrie