livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] wood chips

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] wood chips
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:39:32 -0700

What a lift, to get all that without spending a dime! Are you mulching for
winter now or later on? So many feel they have to spend the money for mulch
and amendments in those little bags, and end up spending more on garden
produce than they'd spend at the market.

We have a county chipping place nearby where we can load ourselves, but we
found a bigger one where they'll load a pickup for five dollars. It's all a
bit coarse for mulching some of our beds but great for spreading on paths
between beds. We may need to use some on beds but with a layer of aged
manure compost under the chips, and drip under that. Usually we have little
or no rain in spring until summer monsoon here, so mulching is absolutely
essential - no garden without it. Like the old mountain climber said,
getting to the top is optional; getting back down is not ;-)