livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Organize and save growing information

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Organize and save growing information
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:00:27 -0700

I have to catch myself and make sure the naming of folders and files is
descriptive enough to stand out from other items. Like "Garden seed sources
list revised", in a folder named "2007 growing". Personally I don't like
the idea of Google knowing everything on my computer ;-( and sending it to
Quantico ... or spammers.

Might surprise some but we also use a lot of books for this. We regularly
hit the used book stores and Goodwills, since so much growing information
never gets out of date. Once we lucked into a trunkload of old Mother Earth
and Organic Gardening at Bookman's in Flagstaff (I wasn't as smart as some
of you getting all those as they came out). And we use bookfinder.com
sometimes for special items. Like Barb is partial to Louise Riotte (Carrots
Love Tomatoes) and also what's-her-name who had the first organic foodstore
in the U.S. I found a cheap used copy of the old book on “Intensive
Culture of Vegetables”, about the French Intensive gardeners of Paris,
reprint of the 1913 edition in English. They run from $16 to $80. Should be
at the PO box by now but we're snowed in - no home delivery out here in the
sticks.

On 12/21/2006 at 9:28 AM E. E. Mitchamore Jr wrote:

>I use the same system, but am not able to easily find specific
>information after the fact. Have you tried Google desktop search?
>
>E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
>www.hillcountrynatives.biz

snip