livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Oregon Tilth teaches sustainable growing, including biointensive.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Oregon Tilth teaches sustainable growing, including biointensive.
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:49:38 -0700

If you're in the area, Oregon Tilth teaches sustainable growing, including
*biointensive*.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
----------------

Organic Education Center (OEC) at Luscher Farm
http://www.tilth.org/Research/OEC/oec.htm

The OEC teaches youth and adults the values of organic agriculture through
classes, workshops and service learning. Through classroom and hands-on
instruction, our activities explore the principles and practices of organic
farming, gardening, permaculture and community-based food systems. In
addition, participants gain exposure to the social, economic, and
ecological implications of food; fundamentals of whole-foods nutrition; and
the role of farms in our regional food economy and conservation of natural
resources. The combination of these programs helps encourage an informed
and engaged community of gardeners, eaters, and organic advocates.

OEC Offers:

* FREE Saturday garden workshops covering a variety of topics related
to organic gardening.
* Tours, workshops, special events and activities for groups and
individuals.
* Winter, Spring, and Fall classes relating to organic gardening,
farming, permaculture, and sustainability.
* A diverse, multi-themed demonstration garden* - including exhibitions
in organic gardening; GROW BIOINTENSIVE mini-farming; seed conservation;
functional landscapes (herbs, habitat, and food) and forest gardening.
* A heated classroom for classes, workshops, gatherings, meetings, etc.
* A resource library for accessing FREE information on organic
gardening and farming, nutrition, permaculture, and sustainable food
systems.
* Garden areas for seniors, adults, children, and people with
disabilities.

The Organic Education Center is a place for all Oregonians to come together
and share our resources in teaching and showcasing organic agriculture.

For more information, or to get involved, contact the Organic Education
Center at (503) 638-0735 or email andyp@tilth.org.

*Our garden exists to provide a healthy and accommodating environment for
experiential learning, community building, and civic service. Nearly all
the food grown is distributed through Oregon Food Bank affiliated shelters,
providing fresh organic produce to underserved Portland-Metro residents. In
only four years, we have served hundreds of Oregonians through quality
education and healthy food. We invite you to come out and join us as we
grow!

Click Here for directions to the Organic Education Center

Free Saturday Garden Workshops

All workshops are FREE (Donations Accepted) and will be held on the FIRST
Saturday of the month from 9am-4pm. There will be a potluck/networking
lunch from 12pm-1pm. Workshops are open to everyone (all ages) and will
include a 15 minute orientation at 9am, so be prompt! With exceptions,
participants will be expected to perform moderate garden service in
exchange for educational materials and instruction. Call (503) 638-0735 for
directions and to register!

May 6, Fertilizing the Organic Way!: Complete nutrition is essential for
healthy plants and healthy people. Learn a variety of organic fertilization
techniques, including: soil building, composting, foliar feeding, organic
amendments, soil chemistry, tests and more.

June 1, All about COMPOST: Healthy soils require ample habitat and food for
microorganisms. Microorganisms cycle nutrients and feed on organic matter.
Compost provides essential organic matter (food) for microorganisms,
connecting the soil food web. Here we’ll explore the basics of creating,
managing, and using compost.

July 15, GROW BIOINTENSIVE Mini-farming: Explore how to turn your backyard
into a productive and sustainable mini-farm. The GROW BIOINTENSIVE method
provides practical techniques for growing abundant food, fertility, and
income in the smallest area possible.

August 5, Fall/Winter Gardening: Learn how to grow abundant food
year-round! Here we’ll demonstrate techniques for extending the season,
growing winter vegetables, cover cropping, and growing functional
perennials. We’ll also discuss seasonality and the importance of proper
timing for year-round success.

September 2, SOIL Ecology and Health: Healthy Soil = Healthy Plants =
Healthy People. Here we’ll get intimate with the fundamentals of soil
biology and discuss effective ways of enhancing soil structure. Topics
include: soil types, soil testing, balancing and building soils, long-term
vs. short-term fertility and more.

October 7, Growing and Using Medicinal Herbs: Did you know that food is
your best medicine? That plants have been the foundation of healing since
ancient times? Here we’ll explore the foundations of Western herbalism
and cover basic techniques for growing and preparing your own herbal
medicines.

2006 Fall Class Schedule and more follows on the website.

  • [Livingontheland] Oregon Tilth teaches sustainable growing, including biointensive., TradingPostPaul, 12/12/2006