livingontheland - [Livingontheland] "Our 21st Century Homestead" (A shameless plug!) (OT)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] "Our 21st Century Homestead" (A shameless plug!) (OT)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:48:27 -0600

"Our 21st Century Homestead" is in the Dec/Jan issue of Mother Earth News, the current entry in MEN's "Firsthand Reports" (a sort of "story of our homestead" feature). It's a brief overview of our twenty-some years at Boxwood, and what Ellen & I are trying to do here.

The piece introduces a new department in MEN on "21st Century Homesteading." I expect to be contributing pieces for the series over the next couple of years. The first, on the ills of the industrial food system and the homestead alternatives, will be in the next issue, and pieces on soil ecology and soil care practices will follow in the two after that.

The series grew out of the handout I wrote for my presentation at PASA (Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture) early this year, "Achieving Food Independence on the Modern Homestead." That piece itself is currently running in three installments in Countryside Magazine.

~Harvey in northern VA
www.themodernhomestead.us

  • [Livingontheland] "Our 21st Century Homestead" (A shameless plug!) (OT), Harvey Ussery, 11/24/2006