livingontheland - [Livingontheland] when summer crops are finished ...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] when summer crops are finished ...
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:27:29 -0600

Absolutely. And as you know, there's always something else we can plant in
their place soon as they're finished. Even in colder climates we can put in
fall varieties or garlic or other varieties for next spring. Those legume
roots of peas and beans are esp good in the soil over winter. And as
always, mulch so no soil is left uncovered all winter. Carrots, rutabagas,
and other roots keep well into winter if mulched for freeze protection.
Fresh vitamins for Xmas.

paul, tradingpost@lobo.net
http://medicinehill.net

The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all
our most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to
foster its renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry